Monday, May 12, 2008

“What Are You Really Selling?”

I’ve heard this many times from many people and still it seems that most do not understand what a sale is all about. It’s ALL about the customer, the prospect, the buyer. Whatever you call the person you are taking too, it’s all about them.

Ever caught yourself talking to someone and YOU dominate the conversation. Now you’ve been told (sometimes more than once) to focus on the other person, and, you want to you really, really do but just can’t seem to hold your thoughts long enough to do so. You start by asking some questions……..as you should. Then they ask you something and away you go. By the time you realize what you are doing, several minutes have passed and you have forgotten where you were.

I’ve done this many times fully intending to be the one listening and asking questions but I’ve trained myself, over the years, to do the talking and not listening. Can I correct that? Absolutely! But it takes practice. It takes hard effort on your part to sit back, ask questions, and listen. Then ask more questions and listen.

I even have a script that I follow, when possible, to keep me on track. It seems difficult at first, but, like anything else it simply takes practice.

For me it has been practice…..practice…..practice.

For those of you who do succeed in this one little change, you are among an elite group of people who actually do make the switch. I promise you that now the world is yours for the asking.

Everyone will want to be your friend because you actually seem to care and listen. Remember “care” and “listen” go together. If you don’t listen, you don’t care. If you don’t care, you don’t listen.

In the final analysis, you will understand that you are merely selling yourself. Once you do that, then the rest is just sharing your thoughts and knowledge.


Warmly,
Bob “The nonGeek Geek”
www.Bob.MyProfileWorldwide.com

No comments: