Monday, May 5, 2008

"Asking The Right Questions"

I was visiting with a friend of mine, David, the other day and asked about his job. David seemed to enjoy his work as an investment broker. I wanted to know more so I asked a few questions about his job.

As we were talking, he mentioned that he had a lot to learn about sales. He knows the information about his products but his concern was in the sales procedure. “How do I get them to ask questions?” David asked. “How do I get them to say yes when I have explained my products but they still say nothing?"

This all comes down to sales techniques. There a number of techniques or approaches and it is important to learn when to use each one. “With one of my clients, recently,” David said “I went through the sales presentation base on the investments the client was making. This all went very well. But, when I finished my presentation, my client and his wife just sat there. I felt lost. What do I do now?” I gave him a few suggestions and said “You know, you might consider doing a personality profile designed for sales people like yourself.” Now, he liked the idea that I share with him and asked for more information.

You see, just by engaging someone in a little conversation, I was able to help someone and sell my product at the same time. I didn’t have to find a way to “pit” my product. I just asked questions, listened, and offer a few pointers and a solution to his frustration.

After all, this is the way networking is supposed to work. It’s simple. But it takes practice and forethought. As you do so, it becomes part of your way of thinking. Then it is easy, not before.

So, ask the right questions and you will get the right answers.


Warmly,

Bob “The nonGeek Geek”
www.Bob.MyProfileWorldwide.com

No comments: